This is how it usually happens. C's sweet tooth starts acting up. He craves something sweet- like cookies. Then he reminds me how "everyone" at work loves my baked goods. He says something along the lines of "You haven't baked anything for me to take into work in months." Wah. Wah. Wah. And that's all it takes for me to get out my Kitchen-Aid mixer and preheat the oven.
So what did I bake for the office on this occasion? S'mores inspired cookies. I've seen an awful lot of s'mores themed desserts floating around Pinterest as of late, so I figured it was about time I baked something chocolate-y, marshmallow-y, and involving graham crackers.
I must admit; I was slightly nervous baking a cookie involving marshmallows again. You know, considering what happened last time. But when we fail we must try try try again right? So full speed ahead on the S'mores cookies.
This cookie is really just a basic oatmeal cookie that got all dressed up with s'mores fixings. I think that they are best served still warm from the oven or zapped in the microwave for a few seconds- the marshmallows will be slightly gooey and the chocolate all melted. Loads of deliciousness for sure. Enjoy with a tall cold glass of milk...ummm that's pretty much what I call heaven.
S'mores Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup crushed plain graham crackers
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- approx 1 cup mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven 375 (note: I used convection at 350)
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt in small bowl.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture.
- Stir in oats, marshmallows, and morsels. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake for approximately 9 minutes. Remove from oven. Immediately place 2-4 mini marshmallows in center of cookies, pushing marshmallows gently into cookies. Cool cookies on baking sheet for two minutes and then remove onto cooling racks.